Friday, February 2, 2007

Impressing the girls

My friends and I were always ready and willing to impress the girls. We would use any means necessary to accomplish this, whether stunts, sports or stupidity. Once while riding my bike I passed a house that had about 4 very cute girls on the roof sunbathing. I was too shy to stop and talk to them. Instead I had the bright idea to impress them with my mad skills. On the way back around the block, I planned out my routine. Riding without hands… too easy, likewise riding the bike on one wheel did not seem adequate. I had the brilliant idea to combine the tricks, because that was sure to get me all of their phone numbers. I came down the street in high gear to make sure I had enough speed. Girls like speed right? As I came up to the promising location I went to work. First I pulled the bike up onto one wheel. That got their attention. While I had all the girls captivated I commenced the second phase of my plan. Dropping my hands to my sides I rode past the house. On the outside I was calm, as if this was an everyday occurrence. On the inside I knew this was going to hurt. The girls became ecstatic and stated whistling and cheering me on. I turned my head to bask in the glory. To my horror when I turned around again I was heading straight for a parked car. I did not have enough time to brake, but did not want to damage the car. So I took the only option left available to me, a controlled crash. I dropped the front wheel down even though it was at the wrong angle. This made the bike flip forward and me along with it. There I lay, tangled in the bike watching the clouds roll by. While in the background I hear hysterical laughter with the occasional request if I was still alive. At this point I was so embarrassed that I wish I had died, but alas the only thing I seriously hurt was my pride. To their concerns I offered a weak thumbs up. This brought a few cheers but was quickly drowned out by laughter. Picking up my bike, that now had a bent front wheel, I haphazardly rode home. It wasn’t until later that day I realized that I had forgotten something very important, the phone numbers. I learned a valuable lesson that day, next time I will just go up and talk to them.

2 comments:

phebe said...

What a hilarious story! You have a definite gift for getting across the feeling of the moment. Thanks for sharing!

Emily V said...

Well, I'm impressed! haha! I'm sure if you remembered at the moment, they would have given you their numbers!